Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Name that earwig

Blah blah blah blah 'cause I don't love you and you don't love me.

When I was in Argentina with my friend Megan, we made the 1,000-km trip across the Pampases (and back), during which time we introduced each other to new games to pass the time. Megan's main contribution was The Song Lyrics Game, which goes like this: Person 1 picks a word. Person 2 has to think of - and sing - some song lyrics that include that word, ending on a different word. Person 1 then has to come up with lyrics with that new word, leaving Person 2 with something new, and so on. Words can be re-used, but songs cannot.

We were using the Driver Gets to Be Entertained However They Choose rule of roadtripping, and I was sick of driving, so I agreed to play the Song Lyrics Game as Megan's condition for taking a turn at the wheel. Our two travel companions adamantly opted out of the game and moved to the back seat, where they learned that they could opt out of playing but not experiencing the Song Lyrics Game. I'm sure this revelation became painfully clear to them as, hurtling down a two-lane Argentine road at 95 miles an hour, Megan and I were belting out "Wild Thing, I think I love you...BUT I WANNA KNOW FOR SURE."

We played the Song Lyrics Game for nearly three hours, ranging through pop songs, crooner classics, Christmas carols, children's tunes, and hymns. Megan is the daughter of a professional musician, so she kicked my ass at the Song Lyrics Game. She didn't care, she tossed me softball words just to keep the game going, like "love" and "baby" and "Lord."

But I realized that my memory for song lyrics has really degenerated. Songs that I own on CD, that I've listened to for years, that I once could sing end to end, I suddenly drew a blank on. This has nagged at me ever since, and I find myself trying to reconstruct song lyrics all the time, almost like a mental agility exercise. This in turn has led to a sharp increase in earwigs - a term my sister uses (whence she got it I know not, but she is an editor and knows many words) for "song stuck in your head."

My latest earwig has been an Eric Clapton song, for which I could remember neither lyrics nor title. Just one line: 'Cause I don't love you and you don't love me. Which is not a very polite thing to go around singing. So, before starting a new day, I hereby purge myself of this particular earwig:
http://www.eric-clapton.co.uk/ecla/lyrics/promises.html

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

earWORMS, not earwigs. Earwigs are actual creatures that live in the garden and have little pinchers on their ass. Don't every try to pick them up.

--moxiegrrl

Anonymous said...

P.S. For more information on earworms, look here. I especially like the note in the middle of the page:

The term earworm is the literal English translation of the German word ohrwurm (see the earliest citation, below, for more). An earworm is also sometimes called a sticky tune or a cognitive itch. Subscriber Isa Mara Lando of Brazil tells me that in Portuguese they call it chiclete de ouvido, or "ear chewing gum."

--moxiegrrl

Cousin Flora said...

Oops! I should correct it to look less ignorant, but that would be less funny. Thanks for the correction!