Thursday, June 05, 2008

Suddenly wide awake

Now that it's happened - now that Barack Obama has the presidential nomination of his party locked up - I find that all my ambivalence and fatigue is gone. I want this person to win, I want it so badly that I'm ready to get on a bus to some state that's not so solidly blue, and do whatever the campaign office says it needs. Need me to make photocopies 12 hours a day in West Virginia? Make phone calls in Texas explaining that Barak Obama is not actually a Muslim? Need me to beg and cajole some of Hillary Clinton's die-hard older women supporters in Ohio, state of my birth? I'M THERE.

Because damn, I want him to win. And not just in a dear-god-heal-us-from-the-Republicans kind of way. I am genuinely psyched.

If Clinton had been the nominee, I would have been psyched too. I'm back to my earlier state of mind, thinking - holy CRAP! Take a look at what might happen here! We might actually elect somebody like that for the first time ever! How can we possibly let that pass us by?

Of course, what's happening to me is exactly what all the pols said would happen: That Democrats would unite. We'll see. I've seen heard shockingly hateful, racist scree from some of those older, female Clinton supporters. I hope they change their minds, I really do. I might even be willing to get on a bus to help convince them.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Si se puede! Did you see Barack take control of the party today? McCain is toast already...

Megan McNally said...

moi aussie, jb. moi aussie.