Friday, May 19, 2006

How to stay employed without really trying

I told Enrico this story today and he said I should blog about it. Hopefully I can make it coherent, it's a bit convoluted.

Today I got an email from a guy saying he knows a nonprofit that is looking for an interim executive director, and he got my name from a colleague.

I said, I'm very full up with work for at least two months. But, if he could tell me a little about the situation, I would know better whether I might be able to be of service, or if I might be able to refer somebody else. I said I recognize that these situations are often very sensitive. It's not uncommon to hear about a situation where the board is about to fire their executive director. It's like being an advice columnist. "I have this friend, see...and I can't say who it is. But they serve on the board of an organization...only I can't say which one. Anyway, they have this problem..."

However, I explained, it would be helpful to know a few things: the size of the organization; the general type of work it does; whether this is an urgent situation or a routine executive transition; and when they will need somebody. And from the story he gave me, I am pretty certain that he's planning to quit his job, and is trying to line up a potential interim to replace himself.

Now here's the funny part. I am also almost certain that I met this guy a few months ago at a community event, and he asked me lots of questions about being an interim director. As usual, I waxed poetic about the temp life and how much BETTER it is than being a permanent executive director. Or a permanent anything, for that matter. So much less stress! So much more variety!

So wouldn't this be funny: This guy is quitting his job because some chick he met at a reception a while back made him realize how burned out he is. Before he gives his board the bad news, he wants to line up a few potential interims for them to talk to. He gets a name from a colleague, and contacts her. The name sounds vaguely familiar, but hey, it's a small town. He makes an appointment and...it's the chick! From the reception! Who convinced him to quit his job!

That, my friends, is how to ensure your own employment security.

No comments: