Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Tips for Jobseekers, #3

This one's for the fellas - something you probably shouldn't say in a job interview when the interviewer is a woman:

"At XYZ place where I worked, all the other employees were women, so they frequently weren't speaking to each other because of some perceived slight, and it was my role to get them talking."
This is particularly funny to me given that in my sister's job at Crazyland, she's the lone women manager among a bunch of boys who seem determined to treat their jobs as one big exercise in Game Theory, or an opportunity to live out The Godfather. "You are dead to me, Fredo!"

I'm not saying the women are smarter, as the Grateful Dead would put it. I've been told it isn't easy being the lone guy in an organization full of women, and I'm sure it's true. I'm just saying, glass houses, stones, etc. etc. At least in job interviews.

No comments: