Tuesday, August 02, 2005

The invasion has begun, dammit

I hear overhead that the abominations of the military-industrial-entertainment complex have arrived - the Blue Angels, here to put on their annual air show as part of SeaFair next weekend. First, they will practice their routine 600 feet over my house for a week, rendering my dogs an anxious, quivering mass in the wake of their sonic booms. I'm serious, the noise is truly distressing, I don't have the foggiest idea why people like air shows. One of my friends who lives nearby says she tries to make the best of things by taking it as an opportunity to practice empathy for people who are bombed.

This also means my favorite running route along the lake will be blocked off all week with bleachers for the (equally abhorrent) hydroboat races; the park will be closed for two hours each day while the fighter planes practice; and by next weekend the police will require us to show ID with proof of address just to drive up our street.

And the weird thing is, Seattle is such a liberal, tree-hugging, peacenik town - where do all these people come from to watch this trashy, noise-polluting, air-polluting, millitaristic so-called entertainment? Why do we put up with police roadblocks in our neighborhoods? It's like the city is taken over for a week by podpeople. Ugh, I really dislike the first week of August.

No comments: