Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Because I know you're curious

Just because I thought you would be curious, here are some details of Enrico's Pacific Crest Trail trip this week. In case you weren't paying attention, today he is on Day Three.

Day One: Surprise Lake trailhead to Deception Lake
Distance: 10 miles
Elevation change: +3,800 feet, -900 ft

Day Two: Deception Lake to Deep Lake
Distance: 11.6 miles
Elevation change: - 500 feet, +1,100 feet, -1,200 feet

Day Three: Deep Lake to Escondido Ridge Tarns
Distance: 12 miles
Elevation change: -1,300 feet, +2,500 feet

Day Four: Escondido Ridge to Spectacle Lake
Distance: 10 miles
Elevation change: -1,900 feet, +2,500 feet

Day Five: Spectacle Lake to Ridge Lake
Distance: 11 miles
Elevation change: +1,000 feet, -300 feet, +700 feet, -400 feet

Day Six: Ridge Lake to Snoqualmie Pass
Distance: 6 miles
Elevation change: -2,300 feet

I wish I had one of those little tracking maps for him, like the kind they have on the screens on airplanes that show exactly where your plane is at all times. Or Harry Potter's Marauder's Map, that would work too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Flora,

Allow me to correct some of the errors I gave you. I have not double checked all the distances and elevation changes, so if any of Cousin Flora's readers are interested in doing the trip, they should double-check.

Ridge Lake to Snoqualmie Pass is 7.3 miles, and oh that it were longer, steeper, and less spectacular to keep away the dabblers, who drop candy wrappers and hold elaborate barbeques when folks should be asleep.

The Forest Service does not want you to camp at the Escondido Ridge Tarns, and neither do the amorous frogs who had begotten the third generation of hoppers this season by the time I had gotten there. In honor of both, I camped beyond the tarns although I gratefully filled my water bottles.

ee