Friday, March 25, 2005

Poked in the butt by a rhino

Last night I had the weirdest dream. I was in Chicago on a visit - which I am right now in real life - and I was on my way to meet my friend Kate for lunch - which I am doing today in real life - when I was delayed by a pack of escaped zoo animals. I was walking toward a big traffic roundabout, and there were a couple dozen rhinosceroses (rhinosceri?) rumbling through. Some other animals too, but mostly rhinos.

So, I did what any gal would do - I got on my cell phone and told Kate I'd be a little late for lunch, on account of the rhino stampede. And as I was explaining this to Kate on the phone, a rhino came up and prodded me in the butt with her (his?) horn. Not enough to hurt, mind you, but kind of like it was herding me, trying to get me to go in a particular direction, perhaps to join in the rhinoceros fun. At which point I realized that I was surrounded by VERY LARGE STAMPEDING ANIMALS WITH SHARP HORNS ON THEIR SNOUTS, and I got a little concerned.

But Kate, ever non-nonsense and sensible, talked me through how to extricate myself from a rhino stampede and get to her house. I guess that's something big-city folk just have to learn how to do, like discerning between express and local buses, or getting to the airport on back roads to avoid traffic.

No comments: