Thursday, August 21, 2008

Floating along

In general, when I get so far behind that I don't know where to start, I respond by procrastinating even further. I cannot face the deficit of shoulda-done's piling up, and thus the should-do's in front of me go straight to the avoidance list too. It's not a very healthy response, I know. But eventually I snap out of it. I pick something, anything, off the endless behind-schedule list, just to get moving; once moving, I triage everything else, and get myself off the dime.

Thus, my back-to-back vacations (Hawaii, Canon Beach) and business trips (Portland, more Portland) got me out of the blogging routine, and every time I'd think of ALL the things I could've blogged about, I'd become overwhelmed and put off blogging for another day. Feeling neglected, Gentle Reader? Just imagine what my Inbox looked like. Oy. At least my bills got paid.

So: here is me, getting off the dime.

This week the consulting work is a tad slow (and by slow, I mean I have billed exactly one half hour all week). So I took a load of stuff to Goodwill, took a load of food to the overwhelmed neighborhood food bank, updated my emergency kit, filed a year's worth of paper, mailed a bunch of stuff to my parents, baked bread, canned four quarts of peaches, got the finances up to date, and weeded the vegetable garden.

No comments: