Friday, July 20, 2007

Meanwhile, life goes on

Is anybody else really squeeged out at the thought of Dick Cheney officially taking the reins of government while George Bush is sedated for his colonoscopy?

I know, part of me thinks Dick Cheney always holds the reins of government. Bush seems so pathetically beleaguered now. He elicits more pity and embarrassment than outrage from me these days. I picture him wallowing in the drink again, at genuinely confused and hurt as to why his plans haven't gone well, just wishing for it all to be over. We're all with you on that part, Georgie.

But Cheney? He still just seems evil. I wouldn't put it past him to stage a genuine coup. Or give back the reins while George is still all drugged up, and then getting him to approve something even more outrageously illegal than he already has.

I had a colonscopy once. The drugs they give you don't actually knock you out, they just make it so you don't remember anything. So you're awake, and experiencing the whole procedure, but somehow the experience never gets captured by the DVD recorder of your brain. Afterwards, I apparently spent the rest of the day having the same conversation over and over with Enrico. "What did you do while I was having the colonoscopy?" "I went to Starbucks." "What did you have?" "A pumpkin scone." "How was that?" "It was good." Pause, repeat.

Just imagine how this might go at the White House. "Hey, did we ever send those extra troops to Iraq?" "No, you need to sign this executive order to make that happen." "Ok!" Pause, repeat.

No comments: