Friday, July 13, 2007

I need a translator

As I sit here I am listening to a conversation that Toby is having with a dog up the street. The windows of the house are open now what with the warm weather - a stifling, record-setting 98 degrees on Wednesday - so the Canine Communication Network is in full swing.

The conversation goes like this:
Toby: Woof Woof Woof! Woof.
Other Dog: Arf!
Toby: Woof Woof Woof! Woof.
OD: Arf! Arf!
Toby: Woof Woof! arrrRoof!
OD: Arf Arf Arf! Arf!

What does this mean? I am a person who has spent a lot of time learning about canine communication, partly because I am a lifelong student of language and partly due to the responsibility of having two dogs. It pays to know what they're saying to each other. There's lots that I don't understand, but I jolly well know the difference between "Hey, you wanna play with me?" and "If you don't avert your gaze in the next 2.5 seconds, I'm going to have to kick your ass."

But I have never had much success at interpreting these long-distance conversations with neighboring dogs. I know the barking has meaning, because our dogs will sit and listen for a long time, clearly hearing but not responding; and all of a sudden something new gets said and they leap to the window, barking back. Or they run outside, or to the front door. The message has changed.

At a high level I can tell the difference between Sound the Alert! barking, versus "Is there anyone out there?" barking, versus "I'm scared and alone" barking. But that's about it. Sound the Alert barking seems to have many, many variations. Oh how I would love to have one of those sci-fi devices that allow people to visit alien planets and hear everything in English.

No comments: