Monday, March 19, 2007

I made the accountant's day today

So I called the accountant to ask some questions about our business return. I've never had an accountant before, nor filed a business tax return other than run-of-the-mill self-employment. Zena and I had run through the forms he prepared for us, and we had a couple of questions.

"What is this box that's checked in Box J, 'Domestic Partner'? I mean, you understand that Zena and I aren't married, right? That we're just business partners?"

There was a long silence, and then he howled with laughter. Seriously, it took him like two whole minutes to catch his breath.

Then he pointed out that the choices for Box J were either "Domestic Partner" or "Foreign Partner." As in - Is this business partner in the US, or overseas? Did I seriously think that the IRS, under the enlightened management of the Bush administration, had created a tax category for civil unions?

Only on the Left Coast could such a misunderstanding occur, I'm sure. But I'm glad I gave the accountant a good belly-laugh in the midst of tax season.

No comments: