Friday, January 12, 2007

Vehicular Ice Skating

For nearly two days I've been watching cars wipe out on the block next to our house. They make it up the first two blocks of the hill, and just when they think they've got it made, the third block takes them down. Even cars that look like they should have pretty good traction spin and slide, their wheels whining with the strain. It is the Block of Doom.

So today when I went out, I took a circuitious route that provides a gentler descent from the hill. On the way home? I got distracted by the bright sun and the dry streets gracing other parts of town. I forgot my plan and took a turn I shouldn't have, and found myself heading down the Block of Doom.

I could hear the Blue Danube Waltz playing in my head as my trusty, All-Wheel-Drive Subaru slowly, gracefully rotated itself 180 degrees, landing my car neatly and uneventfully at the bottom of the block, ass-first. I made a tidy little three-point turn and drove up my driveway.

The ice is supposed to stick around a couple more days.

No comments: