Thursday, October 19, 2006

Million Dollar Flora

Where have I been? Right here, but not blogging, apparently. Today I'm off to Denver for a few days.

We had our phone interviews as part of the life insurance application process. They asked all kinds of questions that make me bristle, but which I suppose have bearing on what kind of life insurance risk you are. Health care questions, what doctors you've seen. They get to look at your medical records. I hate that. I also got asked a whole slew of financial questions, which Enrico did not. About our financial assets, my business, how much it makes, how much of it I own. Ironically I was less perturbed by these questions, as for some reason I've never had the reservations about discussing money that most people seem to have. I'm very aware that I'm an outlier in this regard, but to me - well, it's just money. A person's financial circumstances have no bearing on their virtue, just their fortunes. But, whatever. So I thought it was a little ironic that I was the only one getting these questions. Puzzing, but apt.

Then all was explained by an email from our insurance agent, apologizing that she had, through a typo, accidentally requested one million dollars in life insurance coverage for me. Which was, shall we say, many many times more than we actually wanted. I guess that's why I was flagged for a more extensive questionnaire. They were trying to figure out - why on earth does this chick think she's worth a million dollars?

No comments: