Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Snakes on a plane, man

As Samuel Jackson might say - I am sick and tired of these motherf***ing bugs on these motherf***ing PCs!

For the second time in a year, my PC has completely and totally died. It's not even the same PC that left me in the lurch last time; this is a brand spanking NEW one that I bought last fall to replace the old one after its unfortunate meltdown. Happily I bought a service plan on the new machine, and I have a backup that's only 10 days old, and said old computer is still usable in the meantime, but come on - what is WITH Windows, anyway?

I'm self-employed. I rely on this computer for my livelihood, not just cruising the news and booking flights. I'll be at least a week without my computer, I lose 10 days of work, and I spend some considerable hours moving backup files onto the old machine (good lord, just how slow can a USB port be?), downloading recent antivirus software, asking people to re-email me stuff from the last 10 days, blah blah blah. Not to mention the fact that this machine sounds like a motherf***ing plane, the processor is loud. It's like typing on a vacuum cleaner.

Thank heavens I'm a pretty disciplined backer-upper. I've had three colleagues say to me today "ooooh....gee, when I hear that story, I think that really ought to start backing up." Yeah. You really should. But I can tell that they just think I have terrible computer karma, and it'll never happen to them. Fools!

The thing is, I have been so fond of the new computer, with its spiffy wide screen and sleek design and comfortable keyboard. It never even had a hiccup until now. I trusted it so unquestioningly, so completely. And now, when I come home from a meeting and catch it in the act of betraying me, refusing to boot up AT ALL - how can we ever get the trust back in our relationship, HOW?

I am so, so close to buying a Mac. So what if it won't support Visio. I can learn to live with the hole in my life.

1 comment:

moxievanilla said...

Turn your back on the dark side, Flora, and come to the land of Macs--stable, sleek computers, with intuitive software preinstalled (iTunes! iPhotos! iChat!)...