Tuesday, August 29, 2006

It's back!

My computer is back! The nice people at HP replaced the motherboard and shipped the machine back to me all in one day. They didn't have to wipe the hard drive, so I don't have to spend a day reinstalling software and files. It's just back, and ready to rock n' roll. The knock at the door from the FedEx guy was a pleasant surprise, since HP's customer tracking system still showed us scheduled for a Friday reunion.

The old machine was a trooper, I must say. It stepped up to the challenge very competently. But oh, the racket it makes, as if there's a really old, rickety, 24-inch box fan inside there cooling off the processor. Or perhaps it runs on a vacuum cleaner motor, I'm not sure. Every night when it powered down I'd breath a contented sigh, my ears ringing with the welcome sound of silence. Now that the regular machine is back, I am even more appreciative than ever of its quiet sleekness.

Let's never, ever fight again, little machine. I'm sorry I threatened to replace you with a Mac.

No comments: