Saturday, July 22, 2006

So...very...hot

We're having another one of those rare and mercifully short heat waves here, where it gets into the 90s for a few days. I know, those of you suffering from 100-degree heat elsewhere in the country are thinking, pffft, so what? But you have to understand that WE DON'T HAVE AIR CONDITIONING here. Just like we don't have insulation in our walls. We're not set up for extremes of climate. Other than the wet kind of extremes.

And yet, as if in sympathy with the rest of the country, we have had two power outages in the last week. Not just a flicker in the power, but a few hours at a stretch. What on earth could be causing them? I see nothing in the paper to explain it. It can't be the strain of so many overworked air conditioners, as happens elsewhere, because WE DON'T HAVE AIR CONDITIONING.

Last night, as I brushed my teeth in the last twilight, I thought about the people in Gaza who have had electricity for about an hour a day, if they're lucky, since whenver it was in June that the power generators were destroyed. If I had only one hour of electricity a day, I thought, how would I want to use it?

Today we are heading to the peninsula. Maybe it'll be cooler out there, who knows. At least on the water they might have a breeze.

No comments: