Thursday, June 29, 2006

Miscellaneous Shellfish

Yesterday I had the big come-down from that "Sleep? Who needs sleep!?" vibe I had going there for a while. It turns out I do still need to sleep more than the average bear, no matter how much sunshine there is.

I've been getting all kinds of exciting things done, like ordering that new-fangled phone service that's bundled with the internet, and learning about professional liability insurance for Zena and my new business. "Errors and Omissions" insurance - I love that for roughly $250 per year, I can insure myself against my own screw-ups and forgetfulness. Wouldn't it be great if you could do that generally in life? "Oh, I'm sorry I forgot to return that library book for you. Talk to my Errors and Omissions people about that."

I also had the immense pleasure of hosting a visit from a Bosnian Roto-Rooter guy, who informed me in a charming accent reminiscent of my grandfather and great-aunt Anna, "Is toilet paper coming up downspout. That means, is sewage coming up from storm drain. Is not good thing." Yes, I am aware that sewage bubbling up out of one's downspouts IS NOT GOOD THING. This would be why I called you.

On the all-important bird front, I think Robin Mamma's babies are close to hatching, and I believe I hear Bongo out in the neighborhood occasionally - his caw is raspier and higher than most crows - but his family largely leaves Toby alone now. The other evening I was swinging in the hammock and I'm pretty sure I saw Bongo in the cherry tree above me. He shuffled around for a while, shopping for just the right cherry, and then sat there for a long time with the little red fruit held delicately in his long beak. I congratulated him on getting his wings under him, wished him well. I guess I became rather fond of Bongo. Then he flew off to join his family, who from the sound of it were in the process of dismantling my neighbor's roof.

No comments: