Friday, June 02, 2006

Is there a vaccine for that?

I never thought this would happen to me, but it appears I may have been bitten by the Powerpoint Animation Bug. I've never been much into the animation feature of Powerpoint, disdaining it as something that sucks an incredible amount of time as you debate whether it's better to have your bullet points fly in from the left? or shimmer magically into being? It's time NOT spent producing useful content, and is a royal pain in the ass if you ever want to edit the presentation at a later date. Plus, when you're giving the presentation you have to spend all your time hitting ENTER, ENTER, ENTER just to get your text up on the screen, which breaks your rhythm. And it doesn't necessarily print out well.

My business partner, Zena, likes animation. You can always tell which half of the deck I built, and which half she built. When I take her presentations and re-purpose them, the first thing I do is strip out all the animation, cursing the whole time. But I respect that it works for her. I am ok with our differences on this matter. It appears she may be rubbing off on me, however, as today I spent quite a bit of time animating. And actually enjoying myself, which is just weird.

I also got to make very fun use of a bus in this particular presentation. Zena meanwhile was trapped in Financial Graph Hell the whole day. So, lucky me!

No comments: