Thursday, March 16, 2006

Act now, before you get old!

Last Friday, we went to see Cosi fan tutte at the Seattle Opera. It was done in a modern setting, and few operas can pull that off but this one worked. Surprisingly well. Enrico had never been to an opera before - well, once we went to an amateur production at a local park (Figaro? Barber of Seville? something along those lines), but he'd never seen one in a big opera hall with all the bells and whistles. I, on the other hand, am the daughter of lifelong opera season ticket holders. I was seeing Fledermaus by the age of 10. And I know what you're thinking, and yes - that did make me one of the coolest kids in town!

Yesterday, I got a call from a chipper woman asking how we liked Cosi, and inquiring as to whether we'd consider season tickets next year? Which is a big jump, from First Opera Ever to Season Ticket Holder. But oddly enough, we actually had talked about it. The season looks particularly good, with Don Giovanni, Boheme, and Italian in Algiers by Rossini. I love anything by Rossini. His music paints actual pictures in my head. And Julius Caesar by Handel - who knew Handel wrote an opera about Julius Caesar?

Anyway, I pointed out to the woman that opera is damn expensive. To which she asked if I was, by any chance, under 40? Because it turns out the Seattle Opera is offering half-price season ticket packages to people under 40 - no doubt in an effort to cultivate the next generation of opera fans.

Enrico and I are thisclose to turning 40, and I'm terribly amused by the symbolism. Apparently once you're past 40, you're just expected to love opera, and to be able to afford it. What else will be expected of us? Those of you already over the threshold - do tell!

No comments: