Thursday, February 16, 2006

Ha!

An email from my dad today made me cackle with laughter. He is following with great interest the research that I'm doing into his father's family up in the arctic north, because for various reasons that side of the family just wasn't discussed much when he was growing up (except for the famous uncle, of course). So he is learning about his history too.

This is all quite fun for me to watch as it evolves, because there’s a whole lot I didn’t know anything about. It sinks in that while my mother was justifiably proud of her side of the record, and not bashful about rehashing it, Dad was exactly what Garrison Keillor means by a Professional Shy Person. As a result we got a lot less info on that side. I feel like Kunta Kinte in a parka!

Now how many people do you know who can work Garrison Keillor, Kunta Kinte and parkas into the same paragrah?

No comments: