Monday, October 24, 2005

A behind-the-scenes look at the art of consulting

"At first, I was looking at the diagrams you drafted and I was thinking yes! This is perfect! And then I thought, well, no it's not exactly perfect, and I tried to make it perfect by adding some stuff. And then I thought, well, this is the kind of thing where we have to either nail it perfectly, or else everyone will get fixated on critiqueing it and we won't get anywhere, you know what I mean?"

Sigh. "Yes, I do."

"So then I started thinking about what we should do instead and I just got confused."

"Yes! I, too, got confused."

"That thing you said in the meeting, remember? Where everyone said 'Yes! That's it!' - That's what we need."

"Dammit, I don't remember exactly what I said. What did I say?"

"Don't worry, we'll recreate it. It is a shame about those diagrams though, they have so many pretty arrows and colors. You know how I love color and arrows, right? But it's just not perfect, you know?"

"Yep. I do know."

No comments: