Monday, August 22, 2005

Screw the IRA, show me the IPod

My training for the Victoria half-marathon - a mere seven weeks away - is going quite well, thank you. I'm up to 5 miles for my short runs, and my long runs are at 7 miles and increasing by a mile a week up to the race. My pace is getting noticeably quicker, too.

However, it turns out that one hour is the longest I can run without getting truly, stiflingly bored with my own brain. Which is surprising, since in general I can happily spend a LOT of time in my own company. Way more time than most people I know. But after about an hour of running, my brain needs some distraction. I've just started a new consulting gig and although I had vowed that my top priority would be to fully fund my annual retirement contribution, I think that some of this first check must go for an IPod.

Fortunately, I'm charging this client a little extra per hour from my usual rate, because this is an organization that I have now worked for and left four times. How that came to be is a long story, but suffice to say, it got to be a joke. After a while they stopped having goodbye parties for me, thank goodness. I think the last one was like "Hey everyone, there's cupcakes in the conference room 'cause Flora is leaving again." And people went, "Cool! Cupcakes!" Each time, I had to send out a good-bye email, if only to remind people that they should stop contacting me and instead starting calling [fill in the blank with my replacement]. So when they convinced me to help out with this contract job, I just had to charge them a little extra, a premium for the hearty heckling I'm going to get, given that my fourth and last goodbye email was entitled: "Dude. Seriously. I'm leaving."

So it's kind of a Heckling Premium. Or, the IPod Premium, as luck may have it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that last email. I knew you'd be back. Face it, you're going to be working with us off and on for the rest of your natural born life. Pass the cupcakes!

Cousin Flora said...

You see? The heckling has begun.

Anonymous said...

You should TOTALLY buy an iPod. I love mine.

moxiegrrl