Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Human Adaptability

You wouldn't think one month would be enough time to mess with deeply engrained habits, but I've been surprised by the ways that I find myself slightly off-kilter since returning from Italy. For starters, it took me a couple of days to re-adjust to my car's clutch, and to stop looking for the non-existant sixth gear, and to just generally stop feeling vaguely disappointed with the way my car handles. More than once I've looked for the stove knobs in the wrong place. For lunch I truly crave nothing but bread, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and cheese.

On the other hand, I've quickly regained the habit of wasting time on the Internet, which I will try to nip in the bud. Having a phone again took no adjustment whatsoever, and I feel no lingering urge to go grocery shopping every.single.day.

If the weather weren't so gray and cool, I might be missing my daily dip in a naturally spring-fed, chemical-free swimming pool with a view.

No comments: