Thursday, March 10, 2005

A new toy

Ok, I caved. I bought a spiffy new PDA/phone. Ridiculously complicated and expensive, but I've been researching and reading geeky message boards for months and there's no doubt that ridiculously complicated and expensive is the only way these things come, any more.

It's like when the Gortex jacket that I bought in the REI Bargain Basement* many years ago finally lost any ability whatsoever to repel water, no mater what renewing chemicals I washed it with. A jacket that repels water is pretty darned important in this town, so I went back to REI to buy myself a new one. And lo and behold, it was no longer possible to just buy a basic jacket. No, they all had zippered vents, and extra pockets everywhere, and a built in keyring holder in the pocket. I needed none of these things, mind you. But I had to buy them.

For my phone? All I really want is a PDA phone on the Palm OS, where I can synchronize my contacts, calendar, Notes to Self, and to-do lists. I don't need Bluetooth (I'm not even sure what the hell that is). I don't need to surf the Web from my phone. I really don't need a digital camera. But I have all of those things, nonetheless.

On the other hand, I did really want Palm graffiti and a clamshell, but alas - these things I do not have. (If you want to know why this did not prove possible - visit some of the aforementioned geeked-out message boards.)

But I'm not complaining. The new phone has much better sound, a better screen, the ability to function in Europe (soon to be important!), and most importantly, it doesn't lock up and die periodically. My previous phone was the first Palm/phone combo ever made, so it was getting pretty long in the tooth. "Wow," said the Cingular sales guy today, gazing with fascination at my relic, "is that screen in black and white?"

Yes. Yes, it is. Look upon it, and marvel at how anyone could tolerate such a thing.

* Longtime Seattlites, remember the REI Bargain Basement? THAT's the mark of a long-timer in this town. Oh Bargain Basement - how we miss you so.

No comments: