Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Bittersweet employment

Ok, it seems I'm working again. Freelance, bien sur. Two projects. Something old, something new.

And frankly, at this point, it would appear I really need the structure in my day. Never thought I'd say that about myself, I of the productive, nine-month, "I don't need no stinkin' job!" sabbatical, during which I laid a tile floor in the kitchen, refinished my fence, learned woodworking and Chinese cooking, dramatically advanced my yoga skills, completed a manuscript, started a film festival, and generally tidied up every mundane loose end in our daily lives. I mean, when Christmas rolled around, and we were invited to a White Elephant gift exchange - there was nothing extraneous in our house to offer up as a White Elephant gift. Not a thing.

I was a Renaissance gal! I was self-directed, dammit! I coulda been a contender!

But the wheels have come off my self-discipline. Maybe the wireless Internet access - and the radical freedom it provides - has unhinged me. I can scarcely do a decent downward dog any more. So - bring on the structure!

At least until it's time for the Italian villa.

No comments: